The Jones Frameset For Your DIY Ebike or Heavy Hauling Needs!
The Jones Plus LWB HD/e is based on the Jones Plus LWB, a design that has proven itself as one of the most versatile bikes around, winning awards for its abilities as a bikepacking bike, as well as praise for just about all other types of riding, and it's little wonder: Jones Geometry and the long wheelbase puts you in a position that's comfortable and relaxed, but very efficient and great for everything from technical trails to long road rides!
HD/e stands for heavy duty and electric. The frame is built stiffer, stronger, and longer. This frameset is an excellent starting point for a DIY ebike project, or for building up a fully loaded touring bike. If you’re in need of a heavy duty frame for ebiking, commuting, bikepacking, mountain biking, gravel, or road riding, the Jones Plus HD/e has you covered!
The Jones Plus LWB HD/e frames and unicrown forks are made from heat treated 4130 chromoly steel. Our LWB HD/e steel frames have a great feel to them that is stiffer, stronger and with a little more weight than the non HD/e version, ~ 300 grams. Perfect for an electric bike.
The Jones Plus LWB HD/e is equipped with a 68 mm English/BSA threaded bottom bracket shell which is one of the most common bottom brackets in use today. This is a frame you can install a mid-drive ebike motor, or, you can install a traditional crankset in.
Specs | What You Get | Weights | Sizing | Geometry | DIY Ebike
Frame Specs (back to top)
- TIG welded, custom butted, post heat treated, 4130 chromoly tubing.
- Thicker tubing than original LWB for extra strength and stiffness.
- Larger diameter top and down tubes.
- 68 mm English/BSA threaded bottom bracket shell.
- Clearance for 29” x 2.3" - 3.25" tires.
- Extra chainring clearance, good for bottom bracket ebike motor kits. On traditional bikes, it means clearance for large chainrings where a dropped chain can’t get stuck.
- Aluminum 150 mm x 15 mm front thru axle bolt. 181 mm x 15 mm, M15 x 1.50 thread pitch. Uses a 6 mm hex wrench. Simple, reliable, light, and low profile.
- Aluminum 148 mm x 12 mm rear thru axle bolt. 171 mm x 12 mm, M12 x 1.75 thread pitch. Uses a 6 mm hex wrench. Simple, reliable, light, and low profile.
- Standard 148 mm x 12 mm thru axle “Boost” rear hub spacing.
- Machined dropouts.
- Chainstay mounted 51 mm IS rear disc brake mount for up to 203 mm rotor.
- 27.2 mm seatpost size.
- 31.8 mm seatpost clamp size.
- Standard 1 1/8" headtube for external bearing headsets such as the Jones H-Set.
- Multiple rear rack and fender braze-on mounts for the best rack/fender/tire size fit, or for mounting water bottles.
- Bosses located at top of seat stays for ease of mounting racks.
- Centered kick stand mount.
- Available in limited edition blue with semi-matte clear coat applied over the decals.
- Replaceable derailleur hanger to prevent the frame, derailleur, and spokes from being bent or damaged.
Unicrown Fork Specs
- TIG welded, custom butted, heat treated, 4130 chromoly tubing.
- 150 mm x 15 mm fatbike standard thru axle dropout spacing.
- Clearance for 29” x 2.3" - 3.25" tires.
- 51 mm IS disk brake tab for up to 203 mm rotor.
- Straight 1 1/8" steerer tube.
- Fork length: 451 mm for maximum adjustment.
- Offset/rake: 76 mm.
- Compatible with Jones Truss Fork for Plus LWB.
What you get (back to top)
Frame: Jones Plus LWB HD/e Frame, rear thru axle/TA bolt, black stainless steel water bottle bolts with integrated washers, cable guide clips, standard Jones derailleur hanger with stainless steel bolts.
Fork: Jones Plus LWB HD/e Steel Unicrown Fork with front thru axle/TA bolt, black stainless steel water bottle bolts with integrated washers, cable guide clips.
Plus LWB HD/e frame and fork weights including frame parts; axle, derailleur hanger, bolts, clips (back to top)
Steel Plus LWB HD/e Frame: Small 3130 g, Medium 3280 g, Large 3383 g
Steel Plus LWB Unicrown Fork: One size 1769 g
Sizing Information (back to top)
Jones HD/e framesets and complete bikes come in three sizes. To find out which size you may need, please check the basic size chart and geometry below. It’s recommended that you have 1” minimum clearance when standing over the top tube.
5'4" - 5'8"
5'7" - 6'2"
6' - 6'6"
(at center of top tube)
Geometry (back to top)
Jones Geometry uses a short reach and tall stack for an upright position that places less weight on your hands. All sizes of the Jones Plus LWB HD/e frames have a 67.5⁰ head tube angle and a 71⁰ effective seat tube angle
Chainstays are 20”/508 mm from bb center to axle center
Small: 46.25”/1176 mm
Medium: 47.25”/1203 mm
DIY Ebike (back to top)
A Jones Plus LWB HD/e frameset is great for a do it yourself (DIY) ebike project. DIY can be fun and rewarding but shall include you doing your own research and development. There are several mid drive ebike motors, and at least one hub drive motor, that can be fitted. We recommend mid drive motors from Bafang and spec them on our complete bikes because of their durability, ease of use, and low center of gravity. We recommend a max power rating of 1000 W. Warranty will not cover damage caused by installing an over powered motor or riding abusively.
For drivetrain and wheelset suggestions and requirements, please check out the Jones Plus LWB HD/e supplemental frameset manual.
Ways to buy a Jones Bicycle
1- Jones Custom Select Bicycle: We build a custom bike for you from the frame up. Talk with Jeff about how you ride and what you need and want in a bike and he will help you with the choices and options to give you the best ride.
2- Rolling Chassis: A Jones rolling chassis includes a frame, fork, headset and wheelset and is a great place to get started on your own Jones Bike build!
3- Customize or modify a complete Jones Bicycle: We build a boxed Jones complete bike with changes and modifications of your choice. Then we tune, adjust and test ride your bike, tune it again and then carefully pack it back up and send it to you, or you can pick it up here (customer keeps take-off parts).
4- Complete Jones Bike order with added parts: We can add parts and accessories to your bike order to be installed later.